KPRC producer Erica Young forwarded me this email today.
From Johns Hopkins Bottled water in your car is very dangerous!
On the Ellen show, Sheryl Crow said this is what caused her breast cancer. It has been identified as the most common cause of the high levels of dioxin in breast cancer tissue.
It sounded very familiar, so I checked my “Ask Amy” archives and came up with this story that I did in August 2006:
POP IT CLOSED.. AND POP IT IN THE MICROWAVE.
EDWINA CROSS NEVER GAVE IT A SECOND THOUGHT.. UNTIL SHE GOT AN E-MAIL THAT SAID THE HEAT FROM THE MICROWAVE RELEASES DIOXINS FROM THE PLASTIC.. SUPPOSEDLY CARCINOGENS THAT ARE HIGHLY TOXIC.THE E-MAIL SAYS THE SAME ABOUT PLASTIC WRAP… AND THAT WHEN SARAN WRAP IS NUKED… IT ACTUALLY DRIPS POISONOUS TOXINS RIGHT ONTO YOUR FOOD.
THE MAYO CLINIC RELEASED THIS STATEMENT ABOUT THE CLAIMS:
“The FDA has evaluated this issue and found that leached substances pose no threat to a person’s health. The FDA tests substances used to make plastics designed for food use… and must find them safe for their intended use before they can be marketed as such.”
There is the concern of BPA (Bisphenol A) used in many plastics. In another segment in Sept. 2008, we reported:
THE FDA HAS SAID IT’S SAFE… BUT AN EXPERT PANEL OF THE “NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH” REPORTS SOME CONCERNS THAT B-P-A COULD BE TOXIC, PARTICULARLY IN CHILDREN.The National Wildlife Federation says if you want to avoid plastic containing BPA, look for the #7 on the recycling code on the product.